What are the differences between each type of silk?
What are the differences between each type of silk? Why the prices are different?: There are several types of Thai silk with various prices from expensive to cheap ones depending on the volume of used fabric and weaving. As a result, we should consider several factors before buying any silk. Firstly, we have to learn more about each type of silk.
1. Thai Silk 2 ply: It is the basic silk that is very famous. It weaved by using small silk thread. After completing, the obtained silk will give smooth feeling when touching.
2. Thai Silk 4 ply: It is the basic silk that is famous for dressmaking. The difference between Thai Silk 2 ply and Thai Silk 4 ply is that Thai Silk 4 ply is weaved by large silk thread with rough surface that is the charm of this silk.
3. Look-Kaew pattern silk: It is weaved by small silk thread and made to be the pattern of above pattern.
4. Golden silk thread: It is grade A silk from Ban Khrua Community. It is weaved by mixing silk thread with round thread to make fabric look glitter. This type of silk can make the wearer look splendid therefore it is very popular for wearing in photographing.
5. Chiang Mai Silk: It is the special weaved silk of Lert Luck store by weaving the silk thread and made it convex in checked pattern for modern look.
6. Muk Pattern Silk: It is the silk with smooth surface and inserted with golden thread. The color of silk is bright that can make the wearer look splendid.
7. Prae Wa Silk: It is originated in Kalasin province and very famous. It is weaved delicately to make beautiful pattern.
8. Yok-Ngeaw Silk: Yok-Ngeaw Silk is the most valuable silk. It is also very expensive because of long period of difficult weaving. It is weaved to make the pattern throughout the piece and inserted with color thread tgiving gorgeous look and artistic.
How to wash silk: Silk should be washed with mild dry-cleaning solvent. It will be more suitable to be washed with specific dry-cleaning for silk. Do not wash silk with washing machine because it is hard to iron. Instead, you should iron silk with hand delicately without strong scrubbing or twisting. In addition, you should not soak silk for long period because you will make it misshapen, especially, bright color such as purple, purplish pink, etc.
How to dry silk: After washing, you should shake off the silk to loosen before drying. This will make ironing easier and you should dry it under the shade with light sunlight to protect color of the silk.
How to iron silk: After mixing fabric finish in the proper proportion as defined (suggested to use fabric finish for silk specifically, you have to spray fabric finish over the piece of silk and use the heat level as defined by each brand of iron. However, for ironing Thai silk, you have to lower the heat level for 1-2 levels from the normal level.
For creased silk: You have to spray fabric finish damply, folded and stored in plastic bag. Subsequently, you freeze it in freezer of refrigerator for 10 minutes then iron it. This method will make you iron silk easier and better because of constant humidity of silk.
Let’s try our recommended methods now!